Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Auditioning

I flipping love auditioning.

It's always been one of my favorite parts of acting.

Most actor's that I know like to get auditions but they hate actually auditioning. It's a vicious cycle.

I think that learning to love auditioning is one of the biggest things that an actor can do to improve their success.

Why do I love auditioning?

  •  It's the only time that you get to come in and do whatever you want to in front of the decision makers. Think about it. That first read is all you. There's a lot of freedom in that. A lot of power. You do your thing then they give you a note (if you're lucky). Baddabing baddaboom!

  • It's a huge rush. Oh, man. It's like speed dating (or what I imagine speed dating to be.) It's unpredictable. Especially if you're really reading your partner. I never have any idea what my partner or reader will be like.

Why do people hate auditioning?

  • They get nervous.
This was a tough lesson for me to learn. Nervousness is excitement disguised. This thought is such an integral part of my acting and life that I would almost get it tattooed on my back prison style if it weren't for the mixed messages I think it would send. The next time you feel, 'nervous', stop and realize that it's just excitement, then channel that excitement into a focused and alive performance. It has led to some amazing moments for me.

  • There's no feedback
This one is rough. Normally,the only feedback you get from an audition is if you book it. Most of the time, you will not book it. This means that actor's go through auditions without ever really knowing what wrong. It feels like a lot of rejection and it is if you give the decision makers all the power. You have to develop a way to measure the success of your auditions that doesn't include booking the job. Acting classes can help a lot with this. Focus on one thing to master with each audition and then do it! A phrase that helps me is, "book the office, not the job." Go into auditions in order to develop relationships with the casting directors. Show them that you are a professional that is capable of consistently good work. They'll call you in for another part and another until finally they find a part that is perfect for you.

  •  There's too much competition.
Yep. There are a lot of actors in Los Angeles. This is not news. You signed up for this job and this reality. Here's the great thing though; There's only one you. Go in there and be yourself.  Know your type. As long as you show them an authentic person, you can't go wrong.

I can't wait until I get to the point where I am auditioning 5 days a week. This would be my dream.

Work comes from auditioning. If you hate auditioning, how can you expect the casting directors to enjoy watching you audition?

 Change your mindset.

"The actor's job is finding work. The fringe benefit of our job is that we get to act." - Samuel L. Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment