Friday, December 7, 2012

Finding My Type

Coming from a theatre background, typecasting was the worst fate to befall an actor.

"Why would I want to play the same type of characters?" Dumb Donald would ask.

 "I can play anything!" Dumb Donald would shout.

I was wrong.

I'm smarter now.

In film and television, you want to be typecast. Your type is your brand. It's what you advertise that you can do well. It's how you get business.

Color me crazy but I don't like to waste my time and/or money. I want each decision that I make to be productive for my career. So when I got here, I signed up for on camera acting classes at David Kagen's Film Acting School. I knew I needed to take a supplemental specialty class that could really put things in motion. I had heard Mark Atteberry speak about finding your type on my favorite podcast of all time "Inside Acting" (see Useful Resources). He talked about the need to market yourself and how knowing your type prevents wasted time and energy. It sounded like exactly what I was looking for!

I signed up for his 6 week course on www.beaworkingactor.com and it blew my mind.

Through different exercises in and out of class, I found out what my marketable types were.
When I talk about my type, I mean how I am perceived before I've said a word (or after just a few words). Your type is the kind of first impression you leave.

I am:

The Tender-hearted Regular Guy

The Loyal Best Friend 

The Quirky Tech Guy

The Awkward Character

The beauty of these types is that I never have to try to play them. I am them.

Auditions have become a chance for me to show casting directors who I am, not what I can play.

Knowing my type has led to a super focused way of marketing and submitting for auditions.
I only submit for parts that need my type. It saves me time, money, and energy.

I now have unique branding phrases that fit me perfectly and I know how to pitch myself to agents and other entertainment peeps.

How do actor's know their type (without Mark's class)?

Through years of auditioning and seeing what your called in for the most.

I feel like I've got a head start because I'm starting my career with this knowledge in place. It focuses my efforts and takes away my nerves in the audition room.

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense to me! Makes me wonder what my type might be...any need for a mumbling-nail biting-snarky-underachiever type with zero acting experience?

    Guess I'll stick with this teaching gig for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool blog, what shows have you done so far? def post your resume

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Good idea. One resume, coming right up.

    ReplyDelete