Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The 10 Year Investment

How long does it take someone to become an overnight success? 10 years.

If you go to www.imdb.com and search for your favorite actor, I can almost guarantee you that the space of time between his first acting credit and his first recognizable acting credit will be 10 years.

What does that mean?

It means that the acting business is an investment. It. Takes. Time.

This is tough for us as actors. Friends and family ask ,"What have you been up to? What have you done?" The answer is usually not one that they can understand and/or appreciate.

My answers are:

I'm learning about the business.

I'm hunting for an agent.

I'm taking classes.

I'm auditioning.

I'm planting seeds.

I'm investing in my career because the more growing that I do now, the stronger I will be later. I will be ready when opportunity comes.

In other professions, you intern, then climb the ladder until you reach the top.

I'm considering my first two years in LA my internship. I'm here to learn. I'm here to progress. I'm here to figure out how the hell to make things happen. At the 10 year mark, ill reevaluate and decide if my progress is indicative of greater things. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

1 comment: