Friday, July 19, 2013

What I've Learned About Casting Director Workshops

Donald here. Remember me? It's been awhile.

This month I've been focusing on doing Casting Director workshops.

It's been interesting.

Here's what I've learned:

I think they are necessary. Yes, it sucks that we have to pay money in order to be seen by CD's BUT it beats the hell out of NOT being seen by the CD's that can move your career forward.

The whole process feel a lot like when I used to do UIL Prose in High School. You choose a scene that you think will work for you, you go into a room with a reader and your judge (the CD) and you perform. The CD then ranks you on a rubric.

The big difference is . . . you get to TALK with them. They get to know you for a minute or two. They get to see your personality. Personality and talent is a killer combination.

I went to my first CD workshop a little over a month ago.

It sucked because

A). I didn't choose a good scene for myself.
      I thought that the scene should be like a normal audition scene. Normally, the scenes that we audition with are pretty basic. Nothing big happens. No big emotions are felt. The climax is minimal or nonexistent.

That's what I chose (out of 100's of scenes) to perform for my first CD Workshop. Pretty dumb, huh?

What should you choose to perform? Something that SHOWCASES what you're good at. For me, that's comedy. I've got a great scene now!

B). The Casting Director was NOT "there."

She wouldn't even take our headshots! She was disinterested and seemed to be there for the money and not for the actors.

I ended up getting average marks. All 3's on a scale of 1-5, which was disappointing. In hindsight, I understand why. I chose a mediocre scene and played it believably, but there was nothing special or memorable about it.

Like most things in Los Angeles, I'm getting it now!

I went to 2 CD workshops on Wednesday and got all 5's from both Casting Directors on everything that could be ranked and I've got a great scene that showcases my type. That's more like it!

I emailed both of the CD's yesterday to thank them and one of them told me she'll be contacting me soon about an audition.

That's how it works.

Do good work, build relationships, repeat.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! Casting director's workshops are really helpful in building acting career of an aspiring actor... Hence to enhance acting skills and chances of getting a break one must attend the Casting Director's workshop...

    http://goo.gl/Ela5GN

    ReplyDelete